Sunday, February 22, 2015

slow cooker and tortilla shells

While cleaning my kitchen I was thinking about what to make for eats later in the day.  I was wiping down the door knobs on the cabinet and the door opened and I saw this jar of salsa, Specially Selected Black Bean and Corn salsa and the light bulb went on.

I do not know about you but I frequently use salsa as a base for my pork roasts and mustard as well.  What about you?  How many of you use salsa and/or mustard on your pork roasts??


I pulled down my crock pot, pulled out the celery from the fridge and lined the bottom the crock pot with it put the pork loin roast in added two onions halved a bunch of garlic cloves, some cumin, oregano, thyme and a couple of whole cloves and poured the salsa on the top.

I set the crock on high and let it cook for a few hours maybe four, stuck the meat thermometer into it and when it reached proper temperature took the roast out and sliced it up.  Then I added the adzuki beans and rice to the crock and let them simmer in the happy juice inside my crock pot.


 


Then I was thinking what would be good with this and my brain said TORTILLAS!!!  So off to pinterest I go to find a recipe.  I did add 1 cup of whole wheat flour to the recipe because I do like the flavor it adds after they are done cooking.  ")

Now, I am not shy about using lard since  we get our yearly pig butchered we make sure to have everything comes back home with us. If you live in Wisconsin, contact Maplewood Meats, they are an excellent butcher meat market AND they shrink wrap their products and label them as well.  I use lard in my pie crusts as well.  The textures and taste are different than when you use other oil type products.  Also, remember lard has been around longer than most oil type products.  So if you are going for the "all natural" organic style of cooking, lard is the ONLY way to go.


This is the dough mixed up and now is resting for a while.  Here it is cooking up nicely and here they are done.  yum yum in the tum tum

Now just to wait for the rice and the beans to finish cooking to get them filled up and eaten.  MMMMmmmmmmmmmmm.









No comments:

Post a Comment